Arasta Street

One of the most important streets within the commercial centre of the Walled City, Arasta Street is a bustling shopping area dominated by textile and shoe outlets. Read more..

Bedestan (St. Nicolas Church)

Bedestan is a 14th century Gothic style church, located to the south of Selimiye Mosque (Ayia Sophia Cathedral). Read more..

Bedestan Statue Museum

The museum is housed in one of two rooms, adjacent to the eastern part of Bedestan, which were constructed during the British Colonial rule of Cyprus. Read more..

Buyuk Hamam (Grand Bath/ St. George of Latin's Church)

St. George Church was a Latin church from Lusignan period, in the Middle Ages. Then it was adapted to a Bath in Ottoman period. Read more..

Buyuk Han (Great Inn)

This traditional style inn  was constructed in 1572 by Muzaffer Pasha, the first Ottoman Governor of Cyprus. Today, “Great Inn” is a home of many small antiques/ craft shops and arts galleries, where visitors can find all manner of traditional Cypriot souvenirs and handicrafts.   Read more..

Chapter House

 

Chapter House is a two-storey building on the southeastern side of the St. Sophia Cathedral (Selimiye Mosque), which was built in the 14th century. Read more..  

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler's Inn)

 

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler’s Inn), located at Asmaaltı Square, was built towards the end of 17th century and is much smaller and modest when compared with Buyuk Han (Great Inn). Read more..

Print

Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)

Posted in Places to See

 

Directly influenced by the Gothic architecture of France, the cathedral was built in the reign of Lusignans. Started in 1208, the construction took 118 years to complete and was finally finished in 1326, when it was opened to religious service with a ritual ceremony. The cathedral was of great importance as Lusignan kings were crowned here. 

The cathedral was damaged by the attacks of Genoese in 1373, and in several earthquakes between 1491 and 1547. After the Ottoman conquest in 1571, two minarets, a mimbar (pulpit), and a mihrab were added to the building, and it was adapted as a mosque which was named ‘Aya Sofya Mosque’. In 1954, it was renamed after Sultan Selim II, the conqueror of Cyprus, as ‘Selimiye Mosque’.

 Among the most important examples of Gothic sculpture surviving on the island are the frames of the three doors of the western pro pylon of the building. These are decorated with a large number of blind arches adorned with anthemia and natural motifs.

 

 

 

 

Municipal Market

Nicosia Municipal Market is an important landmark in the Walled City. It has been a market place for centuries, firstly as an open market and then covered since 1932. When it was constructed in 1932 it is said to be equivalent to the present day’s superstores. Read more..

Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)

Selimiye Mosque was originally built in Gothic style by the Lusignans as a cathedral dedicated to Saint Sophia (Ayia Sophia). The construction of the cathedral took 118 years and was finally completed in 1326. Lusignan kings were crowned here. Read more..

Sultan II Mahmut Library

The Sultan II Mahmut Library was built in 1829 by the then Governor of Cyprus, Ali Ruhi. It is located near the east entrance of Selimiye Mosque and is a fine example of classical Ottoman architecture, with its large domed room and twin-domed arcade. Read more..