Print

Sultan II Mahmut Library

Posted in Places to See

The Library of Sultan Mahmut II was built in 1829 by the Ottoman Governor of Cyprus, Ali Ruhi. It is located near the east entrance of Selimiye Mosque and is a fine example of classical Ottoman architecture, with its large domed room and twin-domed arcade.

The interior walls of the library room are covered a golden colored adorned poem, with which Hoca Hasan Hilmi Efendi praises Sultan Mahmut II.

The books in the library were donated by Sultan Mahmut II as well as many other well-known people of the time. At present, all the books are preserved by the Archives Office for research purposes.